I had the opportunity to attend a lecture organized by the social media club in Bahrain. The lecture covered the basics of Twitter and was attended by social media influencers, start-ups, and the top Bahrain bloggers. Here I am sharing whatever I could assimilate during the lecture. Trust me; it was one of the most interesting lectures that I have ever been a part of in Bahrain. It is no wonder that Twitter is a valuable platform. It is vital to be aware of the basics of handling this amazing microblogging platform.
Twitter permits users to share information, news, and their thoughts in just 140 characters or text. The platform makes communication measurable and cheap. Anybody can set up a profile on this platform and start following people or profiles of their interest to remain updated with their posts. There are certain terminologies that people who are not familiar with Twitter in Bahrain may not be aware of. This post aims to clear the confusion surrounding the use and basic terminologies of this platform.
- Tweet: A 140-character message is referred to as a tweet
- Retweet: Offering credit to somebody else’s tweet or re-sharing of a tweet is termed as a retweet. Twitter is all about sharing information and thoughts. Whenever your tweet gets retweeted, it just implies that your followers find your tweets entertaining, useful or interesting. This helps you to expand your reach in an exponential manner.
- Feed: The stream of tweets that appear on your home page is referred to as a feed. It consists of updates from the Twitter users that you follow.
- Handle: Your Twitter username is your handle
- Mention (@): This is a way of referring to another Twitter user by utilizing their username in a tweet. The users get notified whenever they are mentioned in a tweet. This helps one to carry out discussions with others.
- Direct Message [DM]: This is a private message of 140 characters which can be exchanged between two people. It is up to you to decide whether you wish to accept a direct message from another user on the platform. To activate this feature, you need to access settings from the Accounts section where you can see a checkbox that is marked “Receive direct messages from any follower”.
- Hashtags [#]: These are words or phrases that follow the sign #. These help you to tag a topic of conversation or to get involved in a larger discussion. These can also be considered to be more of a discovery tool that permits others to find your tweets pertaining to specific topics. You can click on any hashtag to check all the tweets mentioned with that particular hashtag. These need to be employed if you want your tweets to go viral. Hashtags help in keeping the tweets from all over the world organized based on their topics.
- Lists: Twitters permit you to categorize the users that you are following on the platform. Creating lists is an ideal way to follow specific information sources or people.
- Trending: Whenever a topic or particular hashtag becomes popular on Twitter, it is referred to as trending. Your Twitter homepage comprises of top ten trending topics for the day on the left-hand The trending topics keep getting updated constantly and are also based on the accounts that you are following. You are provided the option to change the trend to localized from worldwide. It is ultimately your choice.
Twitter is for everyone. People can choose to experience the platform the way they wish to. Here are some popular ways one can utilize this platform. You can get the latest global and local news from this platform. You can easily keep a tab on the sports news over this platform. You can check what the stars have to say and you can as well connect with them by following their Twitter handle. You can as well follow your favorite celebrities and keep a tab on their activities. You can indulge in a conversation with them or with your favorite though-leaders. If you run a business Twitter handle, then you can follow the experts in your field as well as your clients. Overall, Twitter is a wonderful platform which holds immense potential. If used in a great way, this platform can help you redefine the way you interact with people or your clients. Bahrain twitter courses have become popular for the very reason. Hope you can kick-start with your own Twitter handle with this short summary of what I learned about this popular microblogging platform.
Read more about bahrain based blogger